Wednesday 22 July 2015

Saskatoon Streusel Pie

Saskatoon season continues!  I was at my parents' farm last weekend and came home with 12 litres of them.  Yesterday I made some Saskatoon Berry Jelly (which I will post soon), and today I made some Saskatoon Berry Pies.  I had so many saskatoons that I doubled it up and made two pies! One is for a BBQ I'm hosting, and the other I'll bring to my friend Alex, who just had a baby last week :)

I wanted to make two pies but only had enough shortening for one double crust pastry.  Planning fail. However, this pie is a perfect candidate for a streusel topping.  Mind you, what pie isn't a candidate for streusel topping?!

This pie is just so summery!  Pair it with some vanilla ice-cream or  throw it in a bowl with a splash of heavy cream and I'm immediately brought right back to my childhood.  Enjoy!

Saskatoon Streusel Pie (makes 1 pie)
9 inch pie shell (recipe follows)
7 cups saskatoons
2 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp corn starch
1 recipe streusel topping (recipe follows)

Bring water and sugar to a boil in a large pot.  Stir in berries and lemon juice.  Return to a boil, and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Spoon 1/4 cup of hot liquid into a small bowl.  Whisk in the cornstarch to make a smooth liquid and then return to the berry mixture. Continue to stir over medium heat for about 2 minutes, until thickened.

Pour the filling into prepared pastry.  Sprinkle with streusel topping and bake in a preheated 350F oven for approximately one hour, or until filling is bubbly and pastry is golden brown.

Pastry -adapted from the Crisco Vegetable Shortening box
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 tsp salt
8 tbsp cold water

Mix flour and salt together.  Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender until it forms very coarse crumbs.  Add the cold water, 1 tbsp at a time, until the pastry just holds together.  Split into two portions and shape into a small disk.  Cover each with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. This makes pastry for one double crust pie, or two pies with streusel topping.

Streusel Topping
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp cold margarine or butter

Mix together the flour and sugar.  Cut in the cold margarine or butter with a pastry blender until it forms coarse crumbs.

Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment